This article presents lists of the literary events and publications in 1539.
- April – Printing of the Great Bible (The Byble in Englyshe) is completed; it is distributed to churches in England. Prepared by Myles Coverdale, it contains much material from the Tyndale Bible – unacknowledged as the Tyndale version is officially deemed heretical.
- Unknown dates
- Game Place House in Great Yarmouth becomes the first place in England to be used regularly as a public theatre.
- Marie Dentière writes an open letter to Marguerite of Navarre, sister of King Francis I of France. This Epistre tres utile (very useful letter) calls for an expulsion of Catholic clergy from France.
- The first printing press in North America is set up in Mexico City. The first known book from it, Manual de Adultos, appears in 1540.
- Teseo Ambrogio's Introductio in Chaldaicam lingua, Syriaca atq Armenica, & dece alias linguas, published in Pavia, introduces several Middle Eastern languages to Western Europe for the first time.
- February 27 – Franciscus Raphelengius, Flemish-born Dutch scholar, printer and bookseller (died 1597)
- March 5 – Christoph Pezel, German theologian (died 1604)
- April 12 – Garcilaso de la Vega, Spanish Peruvian mestizo chronicler (died 1616)
- December 5 – Fausto Paolo Sozzini, Italian theologian (died 1604)
- December 20 – Paulus Melissus, German writer in Latin, translator and composer (died 1602)
- Unknown dates
- March 5 – Kaspar Ursinus Velius, German scholar, poet and historian (born c. 1493)
- May 7 – Ottaviano Petrucci, Italian printer (born 1466)
- July 5 – Anthony Maria Zaccaria, Italian religious writer, leader of the Counter-reformation and saint (born 1502)
- July 12 – Ferdinand Columbus, Spanish bibliographer and cosmographer (born 1488)
- August 10 – Lanspergius, German Carthusian monk and ascetic writer (born 1489)
- November 25 – Johann Alexander Brassicanus, German author and teacher (born c. 1500)
- Unknown date – Gabriel Alonso de Herrera, Spanish author of an agricultural treatise (born 1470)
- Palmer, Alan; Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 145–148. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- Robertson, Patrick (1974). The Shell Book of Firsts. London: Ebury Press. p. 189. ISBN 0-7181-1279-2.
- "The Press in Colonial America" (PDF). A Publisher's History of American Magazines — Background and Beginnings. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- (in Dutch) Some biographical information
- "St. Anthony Mary Zaccaria". Bethlehem, PA: Barnabites. Retrieved 2019-06-24.