|12th AVN Awards|
The 12th Annual AVN Awards Show VHS box cover
|Date||January 7, 1995|
|Site||Bally’s Hotel and Casino, Paradise, Nevada|
|Produced by||Gary Miller|
|Directed by||Mark Stone|
|Best Picture||Sex (Best Film)|
|Most awards||Sex (9)|
The 12th AVN Awards ceremony, organized by Adult Video News (AVN) took place on January 7, 1995, at Bally's Hotel and Casino, Paradise, Nevada beginning at 7:45 p.m. PST / 10:45 p.m. EST. During the ceremony, AVN presented AVN Awards (commonly referred to as the Oscars of porn) in 89 categories honoring the movies released during the period December 1, 1993 to November 30, 1994. The ceremony was produced by Gary Miller, Mark Stone and Marco Polo. Actor Steven St. Croix hosted the show for the first time, with co-hosts Dyanna Lauren and Tera Heart.
- 1 Winners and nominees
- 2 Presenters and performers
- 3 Ceremony information
- 4 In Memoriam
- 5 See also
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
- 9 External links
Winners and nominees
The nominees for the 12th AVN Awards were announced at the AVN nominations luncheon 30 days prior to the awards ceremony. Dog Walker and Michael Ninn's Sex earned the most nominations with fourteen. They were the most nominated movies since the awards began in 1984. Shame, an avant-garde western, earned ten nominations while Body & Soul and The Dinner Party had nine apiece.
The winners were announced during the awards ceremony on January 7, 1995. John Leslie won best director in both the film and the video categories, the first time that had happened. He joined previous winners Cecil Howard and Henri Pachard as the only people to have won three best director awards. Ashlyn Gere won Best Actress in both the film and the video categories, just as she had done two years earlier. Asia Carrera became the first person to win the AVN Award for Female Performer of the Year in her first year in the industry. Kylie Ireland was crowned Starlet of the Year.
|Best Film||Best Shot-on-Video Feature|
|Female Performer of the Year|
|Male Performer of the Year||Best New Starlet|
|Best Actor—Film||Best Actress—Film|
|Best Actor—Video||Best Actress—Video|
|Best Supporting Actor—Film||Best Supporting Actress—Film|
|Best Supporting Actor—Video||Best Supporting Actress—Video|
|Best Director—Film||Best Director—Video|
|Best All-Sex Film||Best All-Sex Video|
|Best Selling Tape of the Year||Best Renting Tape of the Year|
|Best European Release (Hot Vidéo Award)||Best Continuing Video Series|
|Best Couples Sex Scene—Film||Best Couples Sex Scene—Video|
|Most Outrageous Sex Scene|
|Best Group Sex Scene—Video||Best All-Girl Sex Scene—Video|
Additional award winners
Honorary AVN Awards
Special Achievement Award
Hall of Fame
Multiple nominations and awards
The following five movies received the most nominations:
The following ten movies received multiple awards:
Presenters and performers
Actor Steven St. Croix hosted the show for the first time following a three-year stint by actor Randy West. His co-host for the first half of the show was Dyanna Lauren while Tera Heart co-hosted the last half of the show.
Midway through the show, AVN executive editor Gene Ross introduced a montage of scenes of humorous moments from a variety of movies, “Great Moments in Adult Video History”, featuring actor Randy West and dozens of others.
Several other people were involved with the production of the ceremony. Gary Miller and Mark Stone served as producer and director for the show while Marco Polo served as director of the broadcast. Stone also served as musical director.
There were several new categories for this year's awards show, including: Best Ethnic-Themed Video, Best Special Effects, the Hot Vidéo Award (Best European Release), Most Outrageous Sex Scene and a couple more awards in gay categories.
A VHS videotape of the show was also published and sold by VCA Pictures, which had hardcore clips of the winning movies interspersed with the awards presentations. A softcore version was made available on VHS for promotional purposes by NightVision.
The show received a mixed reception from media publications. Erotic X-Film Guide called the show “a gala, star-studded event equal in glitz and glamor to any mainstream film awards show.” However, Oui magazine and Adult Cinema Review said the video montage didn't work and some of the other entertainment was long, boring and tedious.
- AVN Award for Best Actress
- AVN Award for Best Supporting Actress
- AVN Award for Male Performer of the Year
- AVN Award for Male Foreign Performer of the Year
- AVN Award for Female Foreign Performer of the Year
- AVN Female Performer of the Year Award
- List of members of the AVN Hall of Fame
^1 The wrong winner was announced at the show. Adult Video News magazine corrected the mistake: "A program misprint and the fact that Tammi Ann's name was inadvertently dropped, might have caused some confusion in this category. Buttslammers 3 was announced from the program dais, however Buttslammers 4 is the official winner."
- Ross, Gene (March 1995). "Star Light, Star Bright, First Star We See Tonight…". Adult Video News. Vol. 10 no. 3. Los Angeles, California: AVN Publications, Inc. pp. 24–82. ISSN 0883-7090.
- Verlaine, Marc; East, Nick (July 1995). "Vegas Vice!". Erotic X-Film Guide. New York, New York: Eton Publishing Co., Inc. pp. 44–45.
- Tsang, Michael; Ferguson, Bob (July 1995). "Sex on the Strip 3". High Society. Vol. 20 no. 7. New York, New York: Crescent Publishing Group. pp. 72–77. ISSN 1075-0800.
- B., J. (May 1995). "It's Showtime!". New Rave. Vol. 1 no. 9. Beverly Hills, California: AmLon Publishing Group, Inc. pp. 28–32.
- Stone, Mark (Director) (1995). The 12th Annual AVN Awards Show (videotape). VCA Pictures.
- Verlaine, Marc; Verducci, Guido (July 1995). "Kylie Ireland: From Second String Sex Kitten To Starlet Of The Year!". Erotic X-Film Guide. New York, New York: Eton Publishing Co., Inc. pp. 14–17.
- Tang, Warren (July 1995). "Adult Video Awards Best New Starlet Kylie Ireland". Cheri. Vol. 19 no. 13. New York, New York: Cheri Magazine, Inc. pp. 36–43. ISSN 1059-7131.
- Roark, Howard (May 1995). "Porn Invades Sin City". Oui. Vol. 26 no. 5. New York, New York: Laurent Publishing, Ltd. pp. 20–30.
- Roark, Howard (June 1995). "Porn Invades Sin City!". Adult Cinema Review. Vol. 13 no. 5. New York, New York: Adult Movie Review, Inc. pp. 38–43.
- Ross, Gene (March 1995). "Star Light, Star Bright, First Star We See Tonight…". Adult Video News. Vol. 10 no. 3. Los Angeles, California: AVN Publications, Inc. p. 54. ISSN 0883-7090.
A program misprint and the fact that Tammi Ann's name was inadvertently dropped, might have caused some confusion in this category. Buttslammers 3 was announced from the program dais, however Buttslammers 4 is the official winner.
- Skee, Mickey (March 1995). "Road Trip Love Stories Take Top Gay Honors". Adult Video News. Vol. 10 no. 3. Los Angeles, California: AVN Publications, Inc. pp. 82–83. ISSN 0883-7090.
- DeMercurio, Marco (Director) (1995). The 12th Annual AVN Awards Show (videotape). NightVision.
- "CES & AVNA Event Report". Dick magazine (in Japanese). Japan. April 1995.
- "Adult Video News Awards Event Report". Up! U magazine (in Japanese). Japan. April 1995.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AVN Awards 1995.|