|San Diego Trolley station|
12th & Imperial Transit Center in 2016
|Location||1255 Imperial Avenue|
San Diego, CA
|Owned by||San Diego Metropolitan Transit System|
|Platforms||2 Island platforms|
3 Side platforms
|Connections||Bus Routes 4, 11, 901, 929|
12th & Imperial Transit Center is a San Diego Trolley station in Downtown San Diego, California. It is located in the East Village neighborhood of the city and serves the high density residential developments that surround the stop. It is one of two stations from which Petco Park can be reached (the other being Gaslamp Quarter station). The station has historically been used as a major transfer point between the various Trolley lines, and is the only station that is directly served by all four Trolley lines.
San Diego Trolley
The Blue Line and the Orange Line are served by the station's island platforms, and the two lines split just south of this station to serve South Bay and East County, respectively. To the north, both lines run parallel to each other through downtown on Park Boulevard and turn west at City College to run along C Street towards America Plaza and the Santa Fe Depot, respectively.
The Bayside Terminal platform of the 12th & Imperial station marks the western terminus of the Green Line, which upon departing from 12th & Imperial goes through the Gaslamp Quarter, Convention Center and Seaport Village stations to the Santa Fe Depot, and then on to the Old Town Transit Center and its destination at Santee.
This station was renovated in two stages as part of the Trolley Renewal Project: in Summer 2011 for the Bayside Terminal platform, and from late October 2012 until June 2013 for the main station platforms.
Prior to September 2, 2012, Orange Line trolleys used to loop around Downtown San Diego to terminate at the Bayside Terminal platform of this station until a system redesign rerouted the western terminus of the line to Santa Fe Depot and extended the Green Line's terminus from Old Town Transit Center to the Bayside Terminal.
Platforms and tracks
|Westbound Imperial Transfer||■ Orange Line||toward Courthouse (Park & Market)|
|■ Blue Line||toward America Plaza (Park & Market)|
|Eastbound Imperial Transfer||■ Orange Line||toward Arnele Avenue (25th & Commercial)|
|■ Blue Line||toward San Ysidro Transit Center (Barrio Logan)|
|Imperial Terminal (Bayside)||■ Green Line||toward Santee Town Center (Gaslamp Quarter)|
|Silver line platform||■ Silver Line||Downtown loop (Gaslamp Quarter)|
San Diego MTS bus routes 4, 11, 901, and 929 stop at the 12th & Imperial Transit Station. The bus stops are to the east of the northbound Blue Line/Orange Line Trolley platform, on the west side of National Avenue.
The San Diego station used by Greyhound Bus Lines is currently located adjacent to the southeast corner of the station, at 1313 National Avenue.
This station is directly adjacent to the San Diego Trolley maintenance yard – thus, it is usually where the trolleys from the yard start their trips for the day. The 12th & Imperial Transit Center building also houses the headquarters of the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS), and MTS's offices are located above the station. It is also located approximately two blocks east of Petco Park, just south of the San Diego Central Library that opened in 2013.
- "12th & Imperial Transit Center" (PDF). San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2012-11-19. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "Trolley Renewal Project". San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "Washington Street Trolley station to close for renewal". San Diego Union-Tribune. Union-Tribune Publishing Co. June 27, 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- "Construction Advisory Trolley Station Closures and Detours Station Construction November 2012 through March 2013" (PDF). San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. November 19, 2012. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2013-12-31. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "Construction Advisory Trolley Station Closures and Detours Station Construction Spring 2013" (PDF). San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. June 12, 2013. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2013-12-30. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "September 2, 2012 Service Changes. Major Bus and Trolley Service Changes". San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. September 2012. Archived from the original on April 30, 2015. Retrieved 2013-12-29.