This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Place of origin||USA|
|Parent case||.219 Zipper|
|Bullet diameter||.224 in (5.7 mm)|
|Neck diameter||.260 in (6.6 mm)|
|Shoulder diameter||.406 in (10.3 mm)|
|Base diameter||.422 in (10.7 mm)|
|Rim diameter||.473 in (12.0 mm)|
|Rim thickness||.049 in (1.2 mm)|
|Case length||1.930 in (49.0 mm)|
|Overall length||2.50 in (64 mm)|
|Primer type||Large rifle|
|Test barrel length: 24"|
Source(s): Hodgdon 
Based on the .219 Zipper case but with a reduced rim diameter to fit the common .473" bolt face, it was intended as a replacement for the .220 Swift cartridge which had a reputation for burning out barrels. Despite having a modern straight taper design, the round was eclipsed by the older .22-250 Remington, already a popular wildcat introduced commercially a year later.
The .225 Winchester was chambered in factory rifles by Winchester (Models 70 and 670) and Savage (Model 340). All commercially produced rifles chambered in .225 Winchester were turn-bolt or break actions. Winchester ceased producing rifles chambered in .225 Winchester in 1971, however seasonal production of loaded ammunition and brass continues by Winchester. Reloading dies for the round are readily available.
The .225 Winchester's case is a parent case for some of SSK Industries' popular line of JDJ cartridges designed by J.D. Jones, chosen for its strength and semi-rimmed design which makes it well suited for use in break-open actions.
- "225 Win data Hodgdon". Data.hodgdon.com. Archived from the original on 2007-11-16. Retrieved 2012-05-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Page, Warren (July 1970). "Thunder and Lightning". Field & Stream. LXXV (75) (3): 68.
- Mann, Richard A.; Barnes, Frank C., eds. (2012). Cartridges of the world : a complete and illustrated reference for over 1500 cartridges (13th ed.). Iola, Wis.: Krause. p. 228. ISBN 978-1440230592.
- "Mr". 2010-03-28. Archived from the original on 2010-03-28. Retrieved 2012-05-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- .225 Winchester at Chuck Hawks